Sunday, November 17, 2013

World Prematurity Day

Today is World Prematurity Day. It is a day when the March of Dimes joins with parent groups and organizations in countries around the world to raise awareness about premature birth and how it can be prevented.

In case you haven't been following my blog from the beginning, my son, Brandon, was born 14 weeks early in July 2008. He weighed 1 pound, 14 ounces and was 13 inches long. Brandon was in the NICU for 12 weeks and came home 2 weeks before his due date. While in the NICU he had his share of issues from being early. He had several blood transfusions, was anemic, had several infections, was intubated, on CPAP, and a nasal cannula, was transferred to CHOP for 2 weeks for ROP, had a PDA, and had reflux to name a few. He came home on an apnea monitor.

Today Brandon is a healthy, 5 year old boy. I wish 5 years ago, when I was wondering if my baby was even going to survive, I could see what a wonderful boy he would be. Today Brandon is in kindergarten and loving it. He is reading at least at a 2nd grade reading level. He plays soccer and just started taking ice skating lessons. He is a wonderful big brother to Wesley. He has the biggest heart and loves everyone. He always has a smile on his face, no matter what he is doing.

He is my miracle. And my hero.


No comments: