Wednesday, November 17, 2010

National Prematurity Awareness Day

Before Brandon was born I didn't know a lot about premature babies. Now I know more than I thought I would ever know. Before he was born I thought preemies were babies that were born early but a little small. I never realized that preemies can be babies that are not finished developing and they can survive as early as 23 weeks. That is only a little past the half point in pregnancy.

Brandon was born at 26 weeks, 1 day. He weighed 1 pound 14 ounces and was 13 inches long. That is only an inch longer than a ruler. He had several blood transfusions, infections, ROP, a PDA, was IV fed, breathed with a vent, CPAP, and nasal cannula. I couldn't hold him for the first time until he was almost 2 weeks old except to lift him straight in the air to help weigh him. He lived in an isolette for more than 2 months. He had apnea spells and bradycardias. He spent 12 weeks in the NICU and came home on an apnea monitor.

Today Brandon is a 24 pound 2 year old. You can't tell by looking at him that he was born so early. He has come such a long way in the past 2 years. He has made me a much stronger person than I ever was. I am in awe of how much he went through and what a figher he is and has always been. He has taught me so much in the past 2 years and I am so grateful for him each and every day.

Brandon is not alone in his battle with prematurity. 1 in 8 babies are born prematurely. In a lot of the cases the reason for prematurity is unknown. Today is National Prematurity Awareness Day. Visit the March of Dimes website to join the fight against prematurity.

3 comments:

Heather and Travis said...

It's just amazing how far our babies have come!!! It literally gives me chills!

Joy said...

Thank you for sharing your story!

MoDBarb said...

Thank you so much for posting on Prematurity Awareness Day. I am so glad to hear that Brandon is doing well now. On behalf of the March of Dimes, thank you for shaing your story and helping us to spread the word about prematurity. Together we all fight - so that babies won't have to.
...Again...thank you so much.