Wednesday, May 18, 2011

3 Years Ago

Three years ago today I woke up and my day started like any other day. It was a Sunday and Stu had a drill to go to at his fire department so I decided to go food shopping. I came home, put the groceries away, and then sat and relaxed for awhile. A short while later my life as I knew it would change forever. I went to go to the bathroom and after using the bathroom stood up and my water broke. I was only a little over 19 weeks pregnant with my twins. I called Stu and he came home and we went to the hospital where it was confirmed that my sac on baby a, my daughter, had ruptured. The doctors didn't know if I would lose one twin, both twins, or neither twin. I have learned more and been through more in the last three years then I ever thought I would in a lifetime. Prior to three years ago I didn't even know that 24 weeks was when a baby was viable. Three years ago I started praying that I would make it to 24 weeks at least. I had a neonatologist come talk to me and found out some possible scenarios I would be facing if I delivered at 24, 25, or 26 weeks- again things that I never thought would be something I might have to deal with. I did deliver my daughter eight days later and my son 7 weeks later, after being on bedrest for 7 weeks. My experience three years ago has definitely changed me from the person who I was then- in some ways good and in some ways probably not for the good. I am grateful for everything I have in my life today. A healthy almost three year old, a husband that I could not live without, a wonderful family and friends, and another baby boy on the way (almost 33 weeks already!). I do miss my baby girl and I am sad I will never get to meet her.