Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Yet Another Ear Infection and Speech


Brandon now has his 4th ear infection in two months. Last Wednesday was the last day I gave him xopenex in his nebulizer because his cough was almost gone. He was still coughing on occassion but nothing like he had been and his nose was not runny anymore and he wasn't wheezing anymore. I still have to give him the pulmicort once a day until he goes to the pulminologist in the beginning of January for his next RSV shot. I have a feeling he will tell us to continue one time a day until the end of RSV season. Brandon was okay on Thursday and Friday but on Saturday his nose started to run again and I noticed him coughing a little more than he had been, but he wasn't wheezing. On Sunday he continued to have a runny nose all day and a more frequent cough and same with yesterday. He also has been up a LOT throughout the night. The problem is I have to go into his room each time he is up because he starts crying and coughing really bad when he is crying. I decided to call the pediatrician yesterday to tell him that Brandon seemed to be getting worse again. He said it sounded all upper to him and to bring him in again. We went in yesterday at 5:30 and saw Dr. Brunetto. I had only seen her one other time awhile ago but she was great. She really took the time to talk to me and go over what has been going on with Brandon the past few months. She listened to him and his lungs sound clear. She said the pulmicort seems to be doing his job but if I notice him start to wheeze then I should do the xopenex two times a day until the cough is almost gone. Hopefully it won't come to that because he really does not like the nebulizer. She checked his ears and sure enough he has another ear infection. I don't think the last one even cleared up. He had 8 doses out of 10 of the omnicef which was the latest antibiotic he was on. Today was going to be the last dose. The pediatrician switched him to augmentin since the omnicef has not been working. She also suggested I call an ENT which I actually had already done. The soonest they could get us in is January 26th. I am glad I took him because by the time I got home from work yesterday he had a fever of 101. He was not a happy camper. Last night was rough but hopefully once the new antibiotic kicks in he will feel better and sleep better.

Brandon qualified for speech in the beginning of November through early intervention. He was actually borderline qualifying but they tweaked the numbers so he would qualify. He had his first session this afternoon although today was really more of a question session for the parents. The person who will be working with him is named Jessica. It turns out she taught the preschool disabled class last year at the school where I teach. I didn't know her since I was out on maternity leave and she had a baby in July so she isn't there now because of that. It is a small world.

Brandon has started to clap his hands finally. He is so cute when he does it. He has one hand flat like you would have your hand when clapping and he hits the back of his other hand with it. When I start singing If You're Happy and You Know It he starts clapping and he also claps when I say yeah. Brandon also fake coughs all of the time. It is the cutest thing.

No comments: