Sunday, January 31, 2010

Duggar Special

I just finished watching the Duggar preemie special on TLC. Their 19th child, Josie, was born on December 10th at 25 weeks. She was born only a week earlier than Brandon was at 26 weeks, 1 day. Josie weighed 1 pound, 6 ounces when she was born. Brandon only weighed 8 ounces more than Josie did when he was born. Nobody should have to go through having a baby born so early.

Watching the special brought back so many memories of Brandon being born early that I thought I had forgotten. I hope that this helps bring awareness of micropreemies to the public. That they aren't just cute little babies but babies that are struggling to live from being born so early. I hope that Josie has as good of an outcome as Brandon has.

I think the hardest thing for me while watching tonight was seeing Josie born through a c-section. I had an emergency c-section so I was completely knocked out and wasn't able to see Brandon right after he was born. The first time I saw him was about 10 hours after he was born when I was wheeled to the NICU and he was in an isolette. I have always wondered what he looked like when he was first born and now I know. I also had a hard time at the end of the special when I saw Josie in her isolette.

1 comment:

Heather and Travis said...

I can't believe I missed that! However, I did see that it is supposed to come back on again tomorrow and I already have the DVR set.