Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cold or Allergies

Brandon made it through a cold or allergies with no nebulizer! Almost 2 weeks ago he woke up very congested an hour after he went to sleep. He was congested with a horrible runny nose for 10 days. I brought him to the pediatrician 4 days into his congestion to make sure he wasn't wheezing. I didn't hear it but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. The pediatrician confirmed that he wasn't wheezing, just breathing heavily since he was breathing only out of his mouth, and told me to give him benadryl, zyrtec, or claritin. I tried benadryl first but Brandon woke up all 3 nights that I gave it to him after sleeping for 5 hours and was crying hysterical and was inconsolable. I then switched to zyrtec and the crying stopped but instead of making him tired like it should it made him wired. He hasn't needed the zyrtec now for 2 nights so I am hoping he goes to sleep a little more easily tonight.

No comments: