Friday, February 12, 2010

On the Nebulizer Again

Brandon is back on the nebulizer again. He started coughing yestersday morning but not too frequently so I didn't start the nebulizer. He also wasn't wheezing like he tends to when he coughs, didn't have a runny nose or fever, and was just as energetic as always. Last night the coughing woke him up twice. The first time was at 9:00 after he had been asleep for almost 2 hours. I wound up giving him a nebulizer treatment of pulmicort because he couldn't stop coughing. He finally went back to sleep after 2 hours. Then this morning around 4:30 he started to cough a lot again. He tried for 45 minutes to go back to sleep on his own but then at 5:15 started crying. I think because he was tired and frustrated that he couldn't sleep. I gave him some milk and then he fell back asleep within 45 minutes and slept until 8 which is a lot later than he usually sleeps until. I am sure being up throughout the night didn't help. He was still coughing once he was awake so I called the pediatrician and brought him in at 12:00. The good news is he isn't sick. The pediatrician thinks that either the pulmicort is out of his system (he was on it for several weeks once he was healthy last time and has been off of it for 3 1/2 weeks now) or the change in weather. I need to use xopenex on him three times a day while he has the cough and the pulmicort two times a day. Once he is done with the cough I can stop the xopenex and use the pulmicort one time a day for one more week.

1 comment:

The Turner Family said...

boooo! I hope Brandon feels better soon...his haircut looks adorable by the way!