Monday, March 8, 2010

Ear Tubes






Brandon got his ear tubes this morning. We had to be at the Shrewsbury Surgery Center at 7:00 am. We got there and I had some paper work to fill out and then they called us and brought us to our room. When we got there a nurse put a thermometer sticker on his forehead, had me change Brandon into a gown, and then gave him some medicine that made him really loopy. The medicine was so he would separate ok and also so they would be able to give him the gas for anesthesia without him fighting it. He kept looking at me and smiling at me. A few minutes later they had me bring Brandon as far as they would let me and then I had to hand him to the anesthesiologist. That was the hardest thing...handing him over and walking back to our room to wait. Brandon laughed when I handed him over. The whole surgery took about 3-4 minutes, then Brandon was in recovery for about 5 minutes, and then they brought him back to the room and gave him to me to hold. He was hysterical and there was nothing we could do to calm him down. They said that is very common because of the anesthesia. After 10-15 minutes of him crying he finally calmed down so we got him dressed and left to came home.

The morning home was tough. He fell asleep in the car on the way home and I put him in his crib when we got home and he slept for almost an hour. When he woke up he only wanted to be held but was crying hysterically when I was holding him. We did a lot of cuddling and he finally calmed down enough to have some puffs and drink some milk. He was finally starting to walk around and then it was time for his ear drops. He was hysterical when I gave him his ear drops and then wouldn't stop crying. I finally got him to sleep at 11:50 and he slept until 1:30. He then woke up and felt a lot better and ate some chicken nuggets and had a lot of milk.

It was 62 degrees here today so this afternoon I decided to take Brandon for a walk at a park near here. It was nice to get out but he fell asleep for the last half of the walk. He was in a good mood the rest of the afternoon and this evening.

He just went to sleep about 10 minutes ago. I am hoping he sleeps well tonight. I am not sure if he will wake up because of his ears. They said they are sometimes uncomfortable.

2 comments:

The Turner Family said...

Whew...I'm glad it was fast, but so sorry that he seems so uncomfortable today. I hope he sleeps well for you and feels better tomorrow. AND, I hope that the tubes ward off any more ear infections!!

Heather and Travis said...

Glad things went well! Hoping and praying that you guys have a good night!