Wednesday, May 26, 2010

2 Years Ago

Two years ago today I gave birth to Brandon's twin sister at only 20 1/2 weeks. I can't believe it was already 2 years ago. It sometimes seems like it was so long ago and sometimes it seems I went through it all a few days ago. Two years ago I didn't know if Brandon would be born too early also or if he would continue to stay inside of me until at least 24 weeks gestation when he would be considered viable. He did manage to stay in until 26 weeks, 1 day. He is a remarkable little boy today. Doing so many things that we never knew if he would be able to. My pediatrician last week said he can't even tell by looking at Brandon that he was such an early preemie.

I still think about Brandon's twin sister. I wonder what she would look like, what she would be doing, how Brandon would be with her. Tonight before bedtime I am going to show Brandon her pictures. I want him to know that he did have a twin sister.

Today I am going to hug my little boy a few more times than I normally would and tell him how much I love him. And tell him how happy I am that he is here.

This has been a difficult week in the preemie community. A 20 month old named Justice (I am on the same preemie message board as his mom) passed away last week. Justice was born at 27 weeks and had respiratory issues as a result of being born early. It is so not fair what prematurity does to so many babies.

2 comments:

Heather and Travis said...

I can't imagine the feelings you must be experiencing today. Please know that I am thinking of you! I think it's a great idea for you to show Brandon his sister's picture.

Martha Compton said...

I'm so sorry for your loss... I think it's great for Brandon to know about his sister. ((hugs))