Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pneumonia and Asthma


I brought Brandon to the pulminologist today. I called yesterday to see if he could be seen today because he was still wheezing pretty badly in the morning when he woke up. I am glad I brought him. They checked his oxygen levels and he was 92 on his toe which I was surprised about because he seems so much better today. The doctor also checked his levels on his thumbs and on one it was 95 and the other it was 98 so he wasn't concerned. He listened to Brandon's lungs and doesn't hear any wheezing but said his lungs sound wet. I asked if it is pneumonia or asthma and he said both. He thinks the asthma is from being born prematurely and that he can eventually outgrow it. He wants Brandon to stay on xopenex 3 times a day until his cough is gone and pulmicort 2 times a day. Once his cough is gone he wants him to stay on pulmicort 2 times a day for a week and then after a week keep him on pulmicort 1 time a day until he goes back to the pulminologist at the end of June. At that point he will decide if he can come off of the pulmicort or if he needs to stay on it.

1 comment:

Heather and Travis said...

Oh my goodness! I hope he is feeling better very soon. I am so glad that you took him in. Hopefully the meds will start working!