Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year



2008 wound up being very different from the way we originally thought it would be. I am definitely looking forward to 2009 being a much better year. 2008 started off with Stu being sworn in as chief of the fire department. A few weeks later I had invitro fertilization done and at the end of January we found out that I was pregnant which we were very excited about. We found out we were having twins the day after Valentine's Day and in the beginning of May found out we were having a boy and a girl. Just a week after we found out we were having one of each was probably the worst day of my life. I woke up that morning (a Sunday) and went to Wegmans. I came home, talked to my parents who had just gotten back from their cruise, and then went to make lunch. I went to go to the bathroom before I ate my lunch and my water broke on the girl's sac. We went to the hospital where it was confirmed that my sac had indeed broke and we were told we would most likely lose one or both of the babies. I began bedrest in the hospital and a week later I lost the girl. I stayed in the hospital for another week and after getting a cerclage came home to continue bedrest. I lasted 5 1/2 more weeks on bedrest at home before having to go back to the hospital because I was bleeding. When the doctor did an ultrasound he didn't know if the blood was coming from the girl's placenta or the boy's placenta so we were told that I would most likely have a c-section within 24 hours. 12 hours later I wound up having an emergency c-section and Brandon was born at 26 weeks and 1 day. He spent a long 12 weeks in the NICU and has been home with us since the end of September. He is doing remarkably well. I am very happy that I have him and that he is doing so well but the rest of what happened I could have done without.

Today is Stu's last day as chief. I am so proud of him for doing such a good job this year as chief. It was not an easy year for him to be chief with everything that we went through but he managed to do a great job despite going through everything that we did.

I am looking forward to a new year and continuing to see Brandon grow and develop as well as he has been. I am also looking forward to having Stu be around a lot more now that he is done being chief.

No comments: