Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Retinopathy of Prematurity

I got a phone call this morning from the eye doctor who has been examining Brandon's eyes. Brandon has to go to CHOP (children's hospital of philadelphia) because he might wind up needing laser surgery. His eyes are now in stage 2 at zone 2. They can still possibly correct themselves at this stage but they could also get worse which would require surgery so they want to transfer him for a second opinion. Unfortunately CHOP and Jefferson (also in Philadelphia) are the only hospitals that do this surgery and the eye doctors from there will not come to Monmouth to examine his eyes so that is why he needs to be transferred. He should hopefully only be there for 1-2 weeks. It is very uncommon for babies from Monmouth to actually need this surgery. The last time they even sent a baby there was in 2007. From what some of the nurses have told me prior to now the reason babies need the surgery is from nurses going up on the oxygen to quickly. He will be transferred either tonight or tomorrow morning. We will find out more later. I will try to update when he is there but I am not sure how often I will have time to get on the computer. I will be staying at a hospitality room or Ronald McDonald house when he is there. Stu will be with me at least through Sunday.

No comments: