Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 10, 2008 morning

The doctors just finished rounds and we sat in on them. We are allowed to sit in on rounds here unlike at Monmouth so we get to hear everything that is going on. They are going to start Brandon on vitamin E. They were saying there are some studies that show that it helps with ROP. I guess anything is worth a shot.

Stu and I were pretty upset about something that happened with our nurse last night. Brandon was desatting for at least 20 minutes straight and our nurse did not seem to be paying attention at all. I was not saying anything because I did not want to butt in and it also seemed to me that he would pull himself out but then his sats would drop all over again but after 20 minutes I finally said something to the nurse. Her reaction was to immediately jump up his oxygen from 30%-50%. We are not upset that he required more oxygen for a little while but instead of gradually increasing it she jumped it up. The eye doctor had just finished telling us yesterday afternoon that the quick jumps in oxygen are what cause ROP. We are concerned that if the nurses jump him up that quickly it will make his eyes worse instead of better like we are hoping.

We are having a meeting sometime today with the social worker, head nurse, doctor and any other people on his team (residents, nutritionist, etc.) to discuss everything that has been going on here and what the plan for Brandon will be now that he will unfortunately be staying here a little longer than we were originally told. Hopefully that will help to make it a little more comfortable for me to have him here.

Brandon was up 30 grams last night so he is back to what he was the night before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I dont know if you remember me, but our babies were in the NICU at MMC together, in fact they were born on the same day. Kaitlyn was just 2 bassinettes away from Brandon. I saw one of your postings on aol's "the bump" this morning and figured i might know a "mom" from NJ. I cant believe the pics and how big Brandon is! Thats wonderful! Sorry to hear that you are at CHOP but I will certainly keep your family in my prayers for a speedy trip back to MMC or better yet, home. Take Care. Karen (kaitlynsmomnj@aol.com)