Saturday, August 23, 2008

7 weeks old




Brandon weighed 1575 grams last night so now he is almost 3 pounds, 8 ounces. He was doing well on the cannula still. When I talked to Sue this morning she said he was at 21%-23% oxygen on the cannula. He is on 1 liter of oxygen. That will eventually decrease to 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and then 1/8 liter. He is also still doing well regulating his temperature when wrapped. She told Stu and me last night that we are at the point now where we can come in and just do things (take his temperature, change his diaper, etc.) on our own without asking and then take him out on our own and hold him. She thinks he will be coming home in about 3 weeks. I am excited about bringing him home but a little nervous too. I have gotten so used to being in the NICU with him and I will definitely miss some of his nurses a lot. At 11:30 last night Brandon started rooting. It was the first time I have seen him do that. Sue says it means he is ready to start trying to drink from a bottle. She thinks the doctors will decide that he can try one bottle within a few more days.

1 comment:

Shelli Glanz said...

Hi Karen and Stu and Brandon,
We're glad to see how well Brandon is doing. It thrilled me (shelli) that he can now wear the cap that I knitted for him!!!
love, Shelli and Larry Glanz