Friday, July 11, 2008

July 11, 2008 afternoon




I was at the hospital from 12:00-1:45 this afternoon. Brandon had a desat (where his oxygen level drops) right when we got there and had a few before we got there. When I talked to his doctor she mentioned that they may put him on a ventilator if it continues. First they decided to turn up his oxygen level to 6. I think that is the highest that they will go with the CPAP and nasal IMV. He was doing really well for awhile and then started to desat several times when we were there. His doctor had someone come to do a chest and stomach x-ray. His stomach looked good but his lungs looked a little hazy. The doctor mentioned trying one more thing for his lungs before going to a ventilator. If he does go on a ventilator it won't be for too long. He also will be able to eat on the ventilator. The goal still seems to be to try to give him milk either tomorrow if things continue to go okay with his stomach or in the next few days. The doctor had the nurse put Brandon on his stomach before we left and that seemed to settle him. Carol, his nurse, also told me that he had his eyes open for awhile. Of course when I was there they were closed the whole time. Brandon has a tube in his mouth. When I asked about it Carol said it was so she could suction him. He also has something on his nose to keep the CPAP from rubbing. When I left I was pretty upset. I went down to leave and realized I forgot a ticket to get out of the hospital so I had to go back to the NICU. When I got off of the elevator I saw Carol waiting to go down. She said she hated to see me leave so upset and gave me a huge hug. She told me that Brandon really was doing remarkably well and that the things that are happening are preemie things, not that Brandon is not doing well. She said that the doctors in the NICU are fantastic. She said to try to stay strong and told me that the best thing that I can continue to do for him is to pump like I have been.

No comments: