Friday, July 18, 2008

Off the Ventilator




I went to the hospital at 12:00 today. Dr. Alemany came up to me a little after I got there and told me that Brandon was the lowest that he could be on the ventilator and that his lungs sounded great so he was going to extubate him (remove him from the ventilator) sometime today. Brandon was wide awake when I got to the hospital so I spent some time looking at him and talking to him. I went to pump a little after 1:30. When I came back Brandon's nurse Lisa and the respiratory therapist had finished removing the ventilator tube and were putting him back on CPAP. When I left the hospital a little after 2:30 Brandon was on high oxygen on the CPAP. Dr. Alemany said he was going to give him a few hours to settle but if he is still requiring high oxygen in a few hours he will have to go back on the ventilator.

Brandon's food was increased to 5 cc's today.

Stu and I are going to go back to the hospital after dinner.

1 comment:

StephBednarz said...

That is terrific news! I am so glad that he is doing well enough to come off the ventilator!!!! GO BRANDON!!!!