Wednesday, July 9, 2008

July 9, 2008






I spoke to Kate, Brandon's night nurse, a few minutes ago to see how his night was. She said he was great. Nothing new to report which is actually a good thing.

His doctor called yesterday afternoon around 5:00 p.m. to tell us that he will probably need a blood transfusion in a few days. This is completely normal for preemies. They get blood taken constantly to check for different things and at such a small size it is hard for the blood to come back so sometimes the red blood cell count goes down which is why they do transfusions. They said that babies respond very well to transfusions. I found out that Brandon has AB positive blood.

We had an exciting night at our 8:00 p.m. visit. Kate showed Stu and I how to take Brandon's temperature, how to weigh him, how to change his diaper, and how to lift him to be weighed. I did everything that Kate showed us how to do last night. Stu is going to do it this afternoon. It seems we will get to do it everyday when we are here during one of the times that they do these things. They do it at 8:00, 12:00, and 4:00 (every 4 hours). It was so nice to be able to do some things with Brandon. I also got to give him a kiss before I put him back down. We got to see Brandon naked for the first time and without his hat. He has a full head of hair but not too thick so he may lose some. You can see his hair in some of the pictures that I am posting from last night. We also had our first family picture taken.

2 comments:

StephBednarz said...

I just love his full head of hair!! :) I am so glad to hear that you get to interact with Brandon...I bet he just loves it when his Mommy and Daddy hold him. :)

GREAT family photo....first of many!

Love ya,
Steph, Bart & Mason

bet369 said...

Hi Mommy and Daddy. Sorry we have not been up but I know you understand. He is such a beautiful precious angel. You are all in our thoughts and prayers everyday. we are so happy Brandon is doing well. I think it is wonderful that you are interacting with him. Thank you for including us by this blog it has been great to be able to see all the progress that he is making. Love the family photo!
If there is anything we can do let us know.
all our love and best wishes.
russ,bet russell and jessica