Monday, July 14, 2008

July 14, 2008 afternoon/ evening

I was at the hospital this afternoon for a few hours. My mom and aunt came with me. Brandon had a desat when I first got there because he had to be suctioned and did not enjoy it. He seemed to be okay the rest of the time. I finally talked to Dr. Hudom who had not been there for the past few days and asked her how long she thinks he will have to be on the ventilator. She seems to think that it should only be for a few weeks but it could be a little longer. Brandon is on two antibiotics for something that he tested positive for. They may try to feed him tomorrow. I guess they can't while he tests positive for something but hopefully he will test negative after being on the antibiotics and then he can start to get some milk. Brandon also got another blood transfusion today.

When I was at the NICU this afternoon, Chris, Brandon's nurse introduced me to another NICU nurse who had a baby born at 25 weeks. He is now 6 years old and doing well. It was very promising to hear that. Chris also told me that I need to look at the positive things he has accomplished so far. I guess the whole NICU experience is baby steps.

Stu and I went to the hospital tonight from 7:30-9:15. Brandon had a new night nurse who I did not really feel as comfortable with. I am sure she is great at what she does but I did not get the warm fuzzy feeling from her that I get from the rest of the nurses. I feel like the rest of the nurses really love Brandon but I did not feel that way tonight. It was really hard leaving the hospital. Brandon desatted a few times when we were doing the diaper changes, temperature, etc. He was settled by the time we left though.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Karen, from my experience there are many different kinds of personalities that nurses have but I am sure that being a NICU nurse, she will be great with Brandon, so try not to worry even though I know its easier said than done. Remember the rotating doctors are checking in on him all the time. We are praying for him!
Love Maria and John